The main laboratory research and development activity belongs to the microwave photonics, which study interactions between microwave and optical waves for the generation, transmission and processing of microwave signals. Microwave photonics allows to create microwave devices and systems with outstanding parameters, which cannot be achieved by traditional electronic techniques. Main advantages of microwave photonic devices and systems are connected with unique properties of optical fiber:
– ultra-low loss (less than 0.0005 dB/m)
– ultra-wide band (tens of gigahertz)
– high immunity to electromagnetic interference
– full galvanic isolation
– low mass and size
Laboratory research and development fields
– high-power photodiode modules with bandwidth up to 100 GHz for the spectral range of 1.2-1.7 μm
– fiber-optic links and systems for transmission and distribution of microwave signals with bandwidth up to 100 GHz
– photonic generation, analysis and processing of microwave signals with bandwidth up to 100 GHz
– ultralow-phase-noise optoelectronic oscillators in the frequency range from 8 to 100 GHz
Applications of microwave photonic devices and systems
– wireless communications
– microwave measurements
Fiber-optic transmission links
- Fiber-optic transmission link for clock pulses with duration from 1 ns to 100 µs (FOTL-01)
- Fiber-optic transmission link of microwave signals in the frequency range of 0.1–10 GHz based on direct modulation of laser radiation (FOTL-10)
- Fiber-optic transmission link of microwave signals in the frequency range of 0.1–20 GHz based on external modulation of laser radiation (FOTL-20)
- Fiber-optic transmission link of microwave signals in the frequency range of 0.1–30 GHz based on external modulation of laser radiation (FOTL-30)
- Multichannel fiber-optic transmission links based on wavelength division multiplexing can be fabricated upon request (up to 18 channels)
Microwave photonic devices
- Ultrawideband fiber-optic delay lines with time delay from 100 ns to 100 µs (FODL)
- Optoelectronic oscillator with ultra-low phase noise for for
X- and K-bands (OEO)
- Various microwave photonic devices based on fiber-optic components can be fabricated upon request (microwave photonic mixers, microwave photonic frequency multipliers, microwave photonic filters, and microwave photonic antennas)
Microwave photonic systems
- Phase-stabilized fiber-optic transmission system of microwave signals (FOTS-P)
- Fiber-optic system for microwave local-oscillator signal distribution (FOTS-D)
- Mutual conversion of amplitude and phase noises in delay-line optoelectronic oscillators with all-optical gain / Chizh, K.Mikitchuk // Journal of Lightwave technology. – 2021. – Vol. 39, №11. – P. 3383-3389.
- Double-loop all-optical gain optoelectronic oscillator with low phase noise and spurs level / A. Chizh, S. Malyshev, K. Mikitchuk // Proc. of IEEE International Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics (MWP) ‒ Toulouse, France. – 2018.‒ P. 124-127.
- Noise and gain of an erbium-doped fiber amplifier for delay-line optoelectronic oscillator / K. Mikitchuk, A. Chizh, S. Malyshev // Proc. of 24th International Conference on Noise and Fluctuations (ICNF) – Vilnius, Lithuania. – 2017. – 4 p.
- Modeling and design of delay-line optoelectronic oscillators / K. Mikitchuk, A. Chizh, S. Malyshev // IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics. – 2016. – Vol. 52, no. 10. – Art. no. 5000108
- High-speed high-power InAlAs/InGaAs/InP Schottky photodiode / A. Chizh, S. Malyshev, K. Mikitchuk // Proceedings of IEEE International Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics (MWP). – Paphos, Cyprus. – 2015. – 4 p.
- Theoretical investigation of external influences on delay-line optoelectronic oscillator / K. Mikitchuk, A. Chizh, S. Malyshev // Proceedings of IEEE International Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics (MWP). – Paphos, Cyprus. – 2015. – 4 p.
- Wideband planar near-field antenna measurement technique using an analog fiber-optic link / A. Chizh, S. Malyshev, K. Mikitchuk, A. Milyaev, M. Popikov // Proceedings of 45th European Microwave Conference (EuMC). – Paris, France. – 2015. – P. 1148-1151.
- Fiber-optic system for local-oscillator signal distribution in active phased arrays / A. Chizh, S. Malyshev // Proceedings of 11th European Radar Conference (EuRAD). – Rome, Italy. – 2014. – P. 439-442.
- High-power InGaAs/InP partially depleted absorber photodiodes for microwave generation / S. Malyshev, A. Chizh, Y. Vasileuski // IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology. – 2008. – Vol. 12, no. 8. – P. 2732-2739.
- P-i-n photodiodes for frequency mixing in radio-over-fiber systems / S. Malyshev, A. Chizh // IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology. – 2007. – Vol. 11, no. 11. – P. 3236-3243.
- Optical control of microwave circuits using photodiodes / S. Malyshev, A. Chizh // Proc. of SPIE. – 2005. – Vol. 5948. – Art. no. 59480R.
- P-I-N photodiodes for optical control of microwave circuits / S. Malyshev, A. Chizh // IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics. – 2004. – Vol. 10, no. 4. – P. 679-685.
Head of Laboratory
Dr. Alexander CHIZH